Pages

27 October 2015

always making something...








Though I haven't done much crafting this week, we are always busy making things here...

costumes--M's felt wolf mask (which was too big, passed onto Z and we ended up making another smaller one)

caramel dip--this recipe with honey instead of sugar and (raw) milk instead of heavy cream and no corn syrup

stamps, glue and scissors...always fun

homemade deodorant--based off of this recipe, with added beeswax and tweaked amounts of things

kombucha--bottling up my second batch (ever).  first batch, refermented with our grape juice and fresh ginger, was a success!

And I think I never posted this--but M is always (always) drawing.  This is his portrait of himself with F and me.  I love it.  And I almost always have F in one arm and a coffee in the other. ;)

Joining Nicole this week.


9 comments:

  1. Although this is the first time I've commented, I always enjoy your blog! Micah's portrait is one worth saving...I have a hard time throwing away my kids' drawings at that age. Looks like you are checking lots of stuff off your list before winter!
    Elisa G from CT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! Yes, I have such a hard time getting rid of the drawings...even if there are so many! I have a rubbermaid tote for each kid in the attic and I am filling them up. ;)

      Delete
  2. Love the mask! and thanks for all of the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it just so interesting and so true and well observed how our children see us?! I notice calm and happiness and confidence in this picture too and your feet that are placed firmly on the ground :-)
    I love that mask and my head is swirling with ideas for all sorts of animals now. What kind of felt did you use? Is it extra thick or sturdy or just 'normal' wool felt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just regular wool felt, though the ears and nose are the stiffer sheets of felt because it is the only black we had. It does have a back layer (sewn on after the eyebrows, cheeks and nose are sewn on) so it is a double layer.
      Thank you for the kind comments about the portrait. I asked him what my mouth would look like if I had one and he added a smile! (Wasn't sure if it was going to be a grumpier look...) ;)

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, such is life! You have been busy! :) I need to try kombucha again. I tried just drinking it straight like tea and it didn't taste so good to me. How did you do the grape juice on the 2nd ferment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the second ferment, I used 16oz air tight jars, cut up a piece of crystallized ginger, about a 1/2 in-1in of fresh ginger and 2-3 TBS of grape juice. Filled it with kombucha to the very top and sealed it up for another week. I am going to leave it a bit longer next time for a little extra fizz, but it fermented well. You can play with the amounts--this time I used a little homemade strawberry jam in one. This is who I learned from...http://www.rebeccaauclair.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102:kombucha-bottling&catid=27:beverages&Itemid=163 :)

      Delete
  5. Love the drawing and the mask is great.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Thanks for visiting our blog!
Your comment will appear after moderation.