Pages

12 October 2015

preserving, preserved




The cold weather is coming and I'm feeling the pressure to harvest and preserve before the garden freezes.  

On the list this week:
more tomatoes (slowly but surely we have been working on canning the ones still ripening--today, sauce with my tomato-cutting helper!)
kale, in the freezer
peppers, chopped and frozen
carrots, in the root cellar
beets, root cellared and pickled

Already preserved:
tomatoes, sauce, bbq sauce and puree
salsa, tomato and corn varieties
strawberries, jam and frozen
blueberries, frozen
grapes, frozen juice--to be decided on how to use
kale, frozen
chard, frozen
green beans, frozen
zucchini noodles, frozen (experimenting with this!)
sweet corn, frozen and in salsa
beets, pickled
pears, canned and frozen
cucumbers, fermented
cabbage, fermented and frozen (experimenting for quick stir-fry meals)
potatoes, in the root cellar
onions and garlic

I think that's everything so far.  Our (18 cubic ft) fruit and veggie freezer is completely full.  Our pantry shelves are filling with canned goods. 
We like to make applesauce but there is a little less pressure to get that done right now as we can get nice seconds well into November or December from our favorite orchard.  
Every year I wish that I preserved more than I do, but we end up eating our own veggies and fruits (or local fruits we can and freeze) all year long.  It is really the "profit" we get from our farmsteading lifestyle...and we certainly enjoy eating our harvest all year long.

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I love opening my freezer and looking at the pantry shelves, seeing them both stocked up with goodness to get us through the winter. Enjoy every bite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm addicted to preserving. That is why I keep a list of what I have harvested and preserved on my sidebar. I save it every year and compare. I don't know what pattern I am looking for, but I do. I guess it reminds me of my farmer roots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that's a lot of work done already. I haven't been able to do as much as usual this year since we ended up shrinking our garden and the birds got ALL of the fruit trees, but I still plan on getting some market apples next week to do the apple sauce and apple pie filling. I've made plenty of jam to last the year though...all from our own berries. Yay.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Thanks for visiting our blog!
Your comment will appear after moderation.