Pages

15 February 2016

a cold, bright day






It is finally very cold here...normally this is typical for several weeks in January, but this year it feels shockingly cold, coming after such a mild winter.
I am so thankful for our woodheat (and for Adam waking several times a night to load the stove).  It is the only heat we have, but we are fortunate to have a cookstove in addition to our woodstove.  We use both when it is so cold.

One of our sows farrowed three days early, during this cold snap.  A pig's gestation is so short that each day early affects the outcome of the litter greatly.  We lost the whole litter.  Maybe if the weather was warmer, they would have fared better, but in any case, it is upsetting.  

The sun is shining brightly today, our walls are covered in valentines and the kids and I are readying for a visit with my parents (meeting up in the finger lakes of New York).



10 comments:

  1. Oh Kris, I'm so sorry about the pigs. So sad!
    Yes Andy gets up to feed our fires too, I'm so grateful that he does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about the loss of the litter. Hugs. It has been cold here too, and the outdoor rinks are finally frozen :) Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our rinks drained before it froze up. :(

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about the losses on the farm....they are certainly difficult to take when they happen. We lost a baby goat during kidding, she was much to early and born to a seasoned Mama. Somethings are not meant to be, or understood.

    On a lighter note, I so adore your stove. It is beautiful! We don't have the cold you have out your way here in Texas, with the exception of the week of Christmas when we lost power with highs in the teens. A wood burning stove is on the wish list! Praying for a better season, warmer days, and healthy babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are many ups and downs with raising animals!

      We are so thankful for our stoves-the little Jotul actually heats our whole home quite well! :)

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about the litter. That is upsetting! Hope you all are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the piggys. It is always so hard to lose an animal. I lost a hen a couple weeks ago. This weird weather is certainly not your typical Vermont winter. I have seen mild ones living in Chittenden County but since living in the NEK I have seen nothing like this. The up and down temps are wild. Looking forward to reading more. It's always a treat to stumble onto a fellow Vermonter's blog. I wandered over from mothering with mindfulness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting the blog! Yes, in the 15 years I've lived here, I don't think we've had a winter like this. I bet this is very usual for the NEK! :)

      Delete

I appreciate your comment! Thanks for visiting our blog!
Your comment will appear after moderation.