Pages

02 May 2016

my time in michigan





my grandpa on the tractor he gave us

my grandpa

lake michigan and 'big red'

my parents' back yard (a harbor off of lake michigan)


my nana

my grandma dorothy

tulip time is coming




I'm so thankful I was able to travel to Michigan last week.  I saw countless family members from both sides of my family because so many relatives from my dad's side came to my grandpa's visitation.  The funeral service for him was so moving.  Distant cousins of mine play bluegrass music and sang his favorite hymns in the most beautiful harmonies.  Despite the sad circumstance, the feelings of joy and love in the reuniting as a (large!) family were so much stronger than the sadness.

At the same time that we were burying him, his tractors were arriving in Vermont.  He gave Adam the two tractors that he had, which will allow us to grow our own feed for our animals because they are so much more powerful than the tractors we have.  It was so bittersweet for my mum and I.  We cried when we got a short video from a friend who filmed their arrival in Vermont.  But we will think of him every time we use them... And I found a wonderful picture of him on one of the tractors.

My sister and I also got to spend time with my nana (who is now in alzheimer's care).  We also met with a great aunt (who was married to my grandpa's brother) who was best friends with my mum's mum (who died when my mum was 7).  We know so little about my Grandma Dorothy but we gathered many stories and photos about her from my Aunt Girlie.  It was such a blessing.  

And, of course, we got to enjoy the tulips, though we were a couple weeks early for the Tulip Time Festival.  I haven't made it to Michigan in May in years, so it was wonderful to see the tulip lined streets of my hometown.

Finally, I arrived home just in time to celebrate M's 6th birthday!  My friend's mum made a (M-designed) cake for him that I picked up on my way back from the airport.  He was thrilled to have a family birthday party right when we got back home.  






2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful my friend. It is always hard to say good bye to a loved one, but coming together with family to celebrate the life of another, feeling the love and joy, and being able to connect is such a blessing. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment! Thanks for visiting our blog!
Your comment will appear after moderation.